Strawberry, Spinach & Rhubarb Muffins
- 1 cup milk/milk alternative + 2 tsp. white vinegar or lemon juice (alternatively, use 1 cup buttermilk)
- 2.5 cup spelt flour
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1.5 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted (you can also use any other oil of choice or butter or ghee)
- 1 egg (or keep it plant-based and use 1 tbsp. ground flax or chia mixed with 3 tbsp. warm water)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup diced rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, mix together your milk of choice with the white vinegar/lemon juice and set aside to let curdle.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together your wet ingredients (maple syrup, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Also add in the milk and vinegar combination and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Make sure not to overmix. Stir gently only until you can’t see and dry ingredients running through the batter. Overmixing will remove the air and can result in flatter, dryer muffins.
- Fold in the rhubarb, strawberries, and spinach.
- Fill muffin liners ¾ of the way (or almost to the top like I did hehe) and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
*Note: they freeze very well too, just be sure they are completely cooled down before storing them in the freezer.