Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
*Makes 8 medium pancakes
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup whole rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- ½ Tsp. sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup water or milk alternative
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil (avocado or olive oil will also work)
- 1 Tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, sift together the spelt flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Once sifted, add in the water or milk, oil of choice, and vanilla and gently mix together just until all the ingredients are combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- For fluffy pancakes, let the batter sit for at least 2 minutes. This ensures that the ingredients set nicely and the oats absorb the liquid.
- While the batter sits, preheat your oven to the lowest temperature. This is to keep the cooked pancakes nice and warm while you continue cooking the rest of the batter. Also heat your skillet/s on a medium heat.
- Once the batter is looking thick and beautiful, lightly spray or coat the skillet/s with some coconut oil and pour the batter on using ¼ cup measurements. Cook for a couple of minutes until the batter starts to bubble and the edges are browned. Flip and cook the opposite side for another couple of minutes.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy! *These pancakes also freeze well so making a double or triple batch is never a bad idea.